Friday, August 17, 2007

On The Door, Baby!!!

I'm pretty nauseated with myself right now.

I'm a registered Democrat.

I drive a Hybrid Honda Civic.

I'm strongly pro-choice.

I'm pro worker and unions.

I'm all for gay marriage.

Yet, today, sitting on my table in my living room is a brand new gun.

And there is a big part of me that hated myself for it.

I grew up in New York, the child of a staunch democrat (Mom) and a wishy washy republican (Dad). We never had guns in the house. My mother wouldn't allow it. And growing up around her and sharing a lot of her views, I agreed with most of it. I definitely agreed with not having a gun in the house. I can remember saying that I would never own a gun. I hated guns.

Funny thing, I still hate guns. A lot. I think the world would be better of if there were no guns. If, as a society, we could abolish all guns, I honestly think this country would be a much better place to live.

Problem is, that's not the world we live in. We live in a world with guns. The criminals have them and use them on the good citizens of this country. Just last week, not 6 blocks from our house, a woman was taken hostage by 3 armed criminals who were breaking into her house. Luckily for her, her husband was home and owned a gun. She survived, the criminals were shot dead.

So after much consideration, the Wife and I decided to buy a gun. We took some safety classes and got a lot of information online. I could tell you what kind of gun we bought but what's the point. It's a gun. And ever time I look at it, I feel sick.

We're going to go to the desert and learn how to shoot it. Then we're going to load it, put the safeties in place and hopefully never use it. But I'd much rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I know most of you who read this are leaning liberal. I'm truly asking you to give me a reason not to have a gun. I've been thinking for quite some time and I just can't come up with one. The child is really not a concern as the kind of gun we got is pretty much childproof. So please, give me a reason that hits home and I'll get rid of it happily. Cause I absolutely hate being a gun owner. I'm hoping that the criminals in my neighborhood hate me being a gun owner too.

Sorry about the downer blog this week. But I've had my stomach in knots for awhile and I need some reassurance that I'm not a monster or good reasons to abandon my purchase. Next blog will be a giggle, I promise. Nothing but fart jokes and my stupidity.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh all the thoughts that keep me up at night.........

Jadey said...

I don't think you're a horrible person for owning a gun. Frankly, I'd rather someone was as conscientious about as you are to own the gun than some other schmuck who's all cavalier about it.

Anonymous said...

If you own a gun, the terrorists win.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.